Sunday, December 19, 2010

A moment of joy, I would like to forget!

Leave a Comment
It was the match between Mumbai Indians(MI) and Royal Challengers Bangalore(RCB) in the season 3 of IPL. This top of the table clash was played in the resurgent Brabourne stadium in Mumbai. Mumbai won the toss and elected to bat. Sachin Tendulkar the captain of MI was the main stay of their batting and hence getting Sachin out early was key for team RCB. It was any bowler's dream to get Sachin's wicket. Vinay Kumar, medium pacer from Karnataka put up his hand that day and got Sachin bowled around the legs while trying to play the leg glance. The entire Mumbai crowd went silent as RCB fans started celebrating at the fall of Sachin's wicket. Watching the match from my living room back in Bangalore, I started celebrating too ."Yeahhhhhhhhh", I screamed at the top of my voice in joy. Joy of seeing the back of Sachin. I was sure that we now stand a good chance of winning our away game. Being a resident of Bangalore and a hard core RCB fan the celebration was very evident.



Celebrations done! Cricket resumes.
After all the celebrations I sobered down to realize that I had just celebrated the downfall of my all time favorite cricketer who I looked up to all my life.I was in total disbelief and finding it hard to believe what just happened.
I started watching cricket in early 90's at the age of 6 when Sachin had just played 2 years of International cricket. Even then, this young extremely talented charming cricketer from Mumbai was already in the hearts and minds of all the Indian cricket fans. As kids, Tendulkar was our 

hero. We all picked up our bats wanting to bat like Sachin. I have not seen cricket without Sachin and I believe that people in India follow cricket because we feel proud that we all are citizens of a country to which Sachin belongs.
All this added to what I was already going through and the question from my mum did not help me any bit. She politely asked me -"Sachin Out! But why are you happy". This question was evident as she had seen me grow into a huge Sachin fan. In reply I told her - "Ma, I am Bangalore supporter and please do not ask any questions to me when I am watching cricket!". The answer I gave was just to get out of the situation. In my mind I knew that whatever happened was unusual, it had never happened to me before. The format of IPL had bowled me over. Mr Lalit Modi, architect behind IPL had once told that - "The success of IPL would be determined if Delhi celebrates when McGrath gets Sachin Out ". McGrath was then playing for Delhi Daredevils and I must admit he was able to achieve it at least in my case. Passion for the team I support took over the emotions I had for my hero. We Indians are generally emotional when it comes to cricket. We love our heroes and especially Tendliya, he is no less than a GOD in the cricket crazy country like ours. We pray to him when we are in trouble and rarely pray to god. We think Sachin can get us out of trouble every single time.

We all love you. Keep Playing forever!
I still love my cricket as much as my heroes. But when it comes to this special person, nothing else matters. All loyalties would take a back seat and would wholeheartedly support my biggest role model, role model of my generation and I hope for generations to follow. In spite of knowing that he is a human,  I just hope Sachin never retires and keeps serving the country as he has done all his life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment